Sunday, January 9, 2011

Simplicity 2603 - Cardi-Wrap

I'm kind of late coming to the cardi-wrap party, as this pattern has been popular for a year of so already. Better late than never, right? This pattern has a cardigan in two different lengths, and the longer one can be wrapped and tied many different ways. I was going to make that one, but decided the length would overwhelm my small frame. Also, I just didn't see myself wearing it in all the different ways. So, I decided to make the shorter version, along with the matching shell to wear under it.
Photo
The fabric I used is a rayon slub knit from fabric.com. It is a pretty dusty rose color. This fabric is very drapey, perfect for this project.
I was a little perplexed as to how to neatly finish the edges of the cardigan. Others who have made it have left the edges raw, since a knit won't ravel. But this just felt too, well, unfinished to me. So I tried serging the edges and then turning them under and topstiching them. Well, that did not look good at all. So, in the end, I just serged the edges, and left them like that. This gives the top a more casual feel, but I am ok with that. Here is the other wearing option for this length. But to be honest, I doubt I'll wear it like that.
The shell in this pattern is really a great design, and I can see myself making one or two of them for summer. I like the wide neckband.

I look forward to wearing this twin set this spring. Since the fabric is lightweight, it will be more of a transitional peice, to be worn in the spring or fall months. Or possibly in the summer to combat the frigid air conditioning the office.

I am also calling this my first jacket of the year for the Jacket a Month sew along over at Stitcher Guild. I will explain that more next time. Until then....
Blessings- Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a wonderful job! Do you take orders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I too, like the first photo, has a very summery drapey look to it, nice color Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, the color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete