Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rhubarb Sauce

Nothing says spring like rhubarb. This mysterious vegetable(?) fruit (?) is a staple in most farmhouse gardens. I remember when I was a kid, my mom and all the aunties and neighbor ladies would always get excited when the rhubarb was ready. I think it was because it was one of the first things harvested in the spring. With it, they would make pies, crisps, bread, muffins. They would kick off the canning season by making jams and sauces to can. It also pairs perfectly with strawberries. I think God planned it perfectly that strawberries and rhubarb are in season at the same time. :)

While I don't live on a farmstead with a huge garden or large patch of rhubarb, I do have generous neighbors that share their bounty with me. In return, I share my rhubarb sauce with them. Here is the recipe I use:

Here's what you need:

Sugar, rhubarb, and cinnamon.

Yep, that's it. Just three ingredients. The process it just as simple. first, chop the rhubarb. Measure 5-6 cups into a large pot, along with a cup of water:


Bring this mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add the sugar and cinnamon. If your rhubarb is mostly green instead of red, you can add a few drops of red food coloring. I try to use mostly red, if I can get it, because it makes the prettiest pink color once done. Then let it simmer, uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Once it is done simmering, ladle it into jars, and it is ready to go in the freezer.



The finished product!


There is nothing better in the middle of a Minnesota winter than having some of this sauce over ice cream. Tastes like summer!

I do have a rhubarb plant in my backyard, planted a couple years ago. It is finally big enough that I can harvest a few stalks from it this year. By next year, I may be able to make sauce with my own rhubarb!

Here is my recipe, if anyone wants to give it a try:

Rhubarb Sauce:

5-6 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Add cinnamon and sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes. Ladle into containers and freeze. Makes 3-4 pints.

Enjoy!

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I always took rhubarb for granted until I moved to the south, it doesn't do well at all here - no rhubarb or apples! I look forward to moving back to MN in a few years and getting a nice stand of rhubarb started! :)

    ReplyDelete